Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Barack Obama’s Presidential Inauguration 2013


Barack Obama’s Presidential Inauguration 2013

So this post is not related to the Georgia session, but since we have the week without legislative days, I thought to post since I think the inauguration is surely relevant J. I ended up going thanks to an email I got Friday (thanks to whoever send it to me, and please let me know how I end up in your email list lol). So I went in one-day round-trip to Washington DC, with precise time to check the inauguration ceremony and few hours extra at the end. Given it is that especial time right after the beginning of the semester and right before my student loan check, it was all I can afford, so I am very thankful for the opportunity. Through a combination of hope, luck, faith, patience, good humor and don’t stop believing, I was able to make it to a reasonable good place in the crowd, from which I could take the pics and listened to inauguration speech with comfort. The link includes video, only audio, and text versions of it.

My favorite part?:

“It is now our generation’s task to carry on what those pioneers began.  For our journey is not complete until our wives, our mothers and daughters can earn a living equal to their efforts.  Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law, for if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well. Our journey is not complete until no citizen is forced to wait for hours to exercise the right to vote. Our journey is not complete until we find a better way to welcome the striving, hopeful immigrants who still see America as a land of opportunity until bright young students and engineers are enlisted in our workforce rather than expelled from our country. Our journey is not complete until all our children, from the streets of Detroit to the hills of Appalachia, to the quiet lanes of Newtown, know that they are cared for and cherished and always safe from harm.”

Not as idealist as it was four year ago and notoriously aged by the weight of being the President, Barack Obama did make a call, once more, for unity and “to work together” as a way to accomplish the challenges the country is facing today. Let’s hope that his work with Congress and the interaction between Democrats and Republicans inside it is more productive and efficient than we just thought this previous four years, and looks more like collaboration than an uncompromising clash of political agendas.




No comments:

Post a Comment